Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cupcakes and baking

I challenged my 4 year old daughter to do something for 7 days. I told her that at the end of every day if she was successful we would put a sticker on the calendar and when she had 7 stickers in a row we would make cupcakes. She loves cupcakes...and so do I! At the end of 7 days she had earned her cupcakes. I knew these would be a huge temptation to me so I made them low fat yummy cupcakes. I'm sure some of you have heard about replacing oil with unsweetened applesauce in baking. I do this all the time! Seriously! I never ever use oil in baking any more unless I am making something for someone else and I do not plan to have any of it.

Here's how it works: if the recipe calls for 1/2 C oil, you put in a 1/2 unsweetened applesauce! It's as easy as that! Some things come out a little "gummy" in the texture so there are a few recipes that you might have to adjust the amount of applesauce, but overall it's a 1 to 1 ratio.



Recently I made apple cinnamon muffins and replaced the oil with applesauce. In fact, I doubled the applesauce and put in a little more baking soda and I got almost twice as many muffins out of the recipe and they were so yummy! That really cut the points down too!

Dr. Oz featured this trick on his blog too and there are some comments from other fans who gave other substitution ideas too. You should check it out here.

Do any of you do this? Or any of the tricks talked about at the Dr. Oz site?

No comments:

Post a Comment