Monday, June 4, 2012

2 years ago, almost to the day!

I was looking back through my journal entries to see where I was in sharing my story with you and I discovered that it's amazing how similar my life this week is to my life 2 years ago...and yet it's so very different too! Two years ago I had 3 children who were just getting over the flu, and so was I. Today, I have 3 kids who are just getting over a really bad cough/fever and so am I! hahaha

Here is what I found in my journal "I'm doing good. :) 17 pounds down!!" I had decided that instead of rewarding myself with food...and probably gaining some of the weight back, I would reward myself with a new book every time I lost 5 pounds! I love to read but I lived in a small town where pthere were no bookstores close by so I didn't go buy a book very often. Yes I know, I could have ordered books online. But there is something almost magical about browsing in a book store and I love it. So about 2 1/2 weeks after that journal entry I left on a sort of vacation. I was going to Salt Lake City and there were many many bookstores there that I love. By the time I left on vacation I was down a total of 25 pounds! That meant I got to buy 5 books! I don't think my husband was that thrilled with the cost of that reward, but he was proud of my progress so he never complained! It was the first reward I indulged in and I loved it!

Being on vacation brought a whole new round of temptations though, and difficulties with sticking to my new eating plan. I went to Salt Lake to be part of a reunion concert for a choir that I was a part of many years earlier. I was excited to be there, but it was an intense week. We had rehearsal Tuesday and Wednesday night, dress rehearsal Thursday and a performance Friday and Saturday nights! Oh and did I mention that we did not receive the music until the first rehearsal? Ok, so my point is that it was a busy, hectic and stressful week. As I have said before, my reaction to stress is to eat, and then my body doesn't let go of those calories easily. I had to leave for rehearsals at 4:30 pm and it was usually after 11 when I would get back to my sisters house.

I decided the only way to handle it was to have dinner a little earlier than normal. I knew that by the time I got back to the house I would be really hungry and tired and tempted to hit a fast food drive through on the way back to my sisters house. So I planned ahead and packed a small snack to eat on the way home and plenty of water to drink! I absolutely love the Special K cereal bars so that is what I usually took with me.


It worked for the most part too! I did succumb after our final concert though. There was a reception afterward with yummy cookies and I had a couple even though I knew I really shouldn't. But it was time to celebrate! That had been such a long day and so emotional and so by the time Larry and I headed back to the house after the reception I was starving! (I had limited myself to only 2 cookies). In my moment of excitement and exhaustion I totally gave in to the temptation to stop at IHOP and have a cheese blintz! I had not been to IHOP for several years (there weren't any close by to where I lived) and I just couldn't say no that night.

It was delicious and I did put 2 or 3 pounds back on...but the extra work it took to get that weight was still worth that one little bit of celebration :)

5 comments:

  1. HOORAY for that visit. So fun, and I had little Claire a few days later. Crazy. So proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, if only you had gone in to labor while we were there we would have met her right away! Now it's been 2 years and we still haven't met her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, she's still the same cute little size!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Rachelle!! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete