Monday, July 9, 2012

Always the last to know

Why is it that the last person to notice the change is the one working so hard to achieve the change? That just doesn't seem fair to me! At the beginning of my weight loss journey my husband would compliment me on my progress. I thought he was just being a wonderful supportive husband. Then other people started to notice that I was losing weight. I had kept it quiet that I was working on it because I didn't want people watching me. So when they started commenting I thought someone had started spilling the news and they were just trying to support me. I did not believe that anyone could really see a difference yet because I couldn't see a difference. I saw it on the scale, but not in the mirror and not with how my clothes were fitting.

This came up in a conversation today because the person I was talking to had noticed that someone else was losing weight. They had noticed several weeks ago but the person losing weight was just starting to really recognize it. So I guess all those people weren't just being supportive, they probably did see an actual change even when I didn't.

Because of that phenomenon I say you take every compliment or every question like "have you lost weight?" and you just eat it up! Drink it in and let it reassure you that even though you don't see a change yet, or not a big change yet, that you are making progress and others recognize it!

Along those lines I find it funny that someone told me yesterday that I lost weight while on vacation. It's funny to me because in reality I gained 2 pounds! (Personally I think 2 pounds was just fine considering that I worked out but wasn't really strict on my food!) I think the reason she thought I had lost weight though is because that fat that I'm still carrying around is being redistributed! I told her that I had not lost weight but thank you very much for the compliment! Even though I knew I hadn't actually lost anything it still felt good!

So we are back home and I'm starting to get back in the swing of things, if only I had my computer back! Hopefully tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Boy, isn't this the truth? I think we don't see it because we look at ourselves in the mirror every day. We don't notice the changes because they're so gradual. I looked at some photos of myself though from a few months back and CAN see the change. Keep posting about your experiences! I love reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Janna!! I'm glad you can see the difference! I think that's when the real motivation starts to kick in. While you can't see any difference it's easy to get discouraged and want to stop, but once you start seeing the changes in your body it's easier to fight those temptations! At least that's how it's been for me. I can look back and think about how long it took to get to that point when I noticed changes and I do NOT want to start over so I am able to keep going instead. :) Keep it up Janna!!

    ReplyDelete