Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wednesdays Tip

Change your routine often! In my previous post I mentioned how valuable changing my workout routine is. It kick starts my body into that weight loss mode again. Not only that but it also helps me to not get bored with what I'm doing. When I get bored with my routine I find that I stop putting 100% into the workout. I start slacking off or skipping parts that I don't really like. So find a few different things that you like and switch it up.

I don't have a set schedule for switching my routine, I do it based on a few different factors.
  1. Am I stuck on a weight loss plateau? If the answer is yes then I know it's time to do something different for a while.
  2. How much time do I have on a particular day for my workout? When I'm doing the "Slim in 6" workouts the first workout (Start it up) is only 30 minutes long but in week 3 when I move to the Ramp it Up workout it's an hour long! Some mornings are crazy busy and I might only have 30 minutes, maybe less! On those days I will switch to my Wii Fit Plus cardio workout which only takes about 30 minutes, or maybe I'll do the Slim & 6-pack workout which is only around 15 minutes.
  3. Have I overdone it lately? I have an old ankle problem that sometimes acts up and makes it difficult to do anything more than light impact. On those days I often do the Slim & 6-pack because it focuses on my troublesome abs, it's a hard workout and yet it doesn't bother my ankle at all!
  4. Am I in a rut. Have I started putting less than 100 % effort into my workout? If the answer is yes then I have to shake it up! Maybe I need to do a combination of things like the Wii Fit Plus cardio workout followed by the Slim & 6-pack ab workout! Maybe a fast walk outside while the kids ride their bikes is a good change for the day!
Don't limit yourself to one or even two workout routines! It can be easy to think "This is actually working and nothing else ever has. I don't dare change anything!" If that one workout continues to work and you aren't bored with it then keep it up! But if your progress slows down don't be afraid to try something new. Sometimes that is just what you need to take that big step forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment