Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Zucchini Muffins





Yesterday I was given several large Zucchini so this morning I added some to our pancakes. That is something that I love doing because it is a great way to eat zucchini.

I grated it all up this morning and I now have 7 quart bags in the freezer to use later on. I did keep a couple cups out so I could experiment a little with my zucchini bread recipe. For years now I have used unsweetened applesauce in place of oil or shortening in my baking, but I have heard that you can also use bananas in place of the sugar. So I did a little research this morning and thanks to healthy-recipes-for-your-family and livestrong I found out how to change my regular zucchini bread recipe into a lower fat muffin recipe using bananas instead of granulated sugar!


They are really moist and yummy! Even my kids really like them. I can't wait to enjoy another one this evening!

Rachelle's Zucchini Muffins         yield 30 muffins

3 Eggs
1 C Unsweetened Applesauce
2 C Mashed Bananas
3 C Flour (these muffins are really really moist so some of you may want to add a bit more flour)
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
3 tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
3 tsp Cinnamon
2 - 2 1/2 C Grated Zucchini
1 C Chocolate Chips

Spray muffin cups with cooking spray (if you have increased the flour you may not need to do this). Beat eggs until foamy. Add applesauce and mix together. Add bananas and vanilla then mix again. Mix in zucchini. Add all dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Mix together. Fold in chocolate chips.

Bake @ 325 for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

My original recipe was 146 old "Weight Watchers Points". This new recipe is only 51 points on that same point program! That is almost a decrease of almost 2/3 points! I should mention that those point values may vary a little depending on the brand of chocolate chips and flour that you use. These are the values based on the brands I use. And of course the values will be different if you are using the new Weight Watchers Points Plus Program.

I hope you enjoy these as much as we do! It's another great way to use some of that plentiful zucchini!

2 comments:

  1. That recipe looks amazing! I have a zucchini muffin recipe I do but yours looks better. I hope that you have a wonderful weekend and you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete