Tuesday, October 9, 2012

In a Rut

So is anyone else in a rut? Or is it just me? I am having a really hard time with dinner specifically. Nothing sounds good to me and it all seems like just so much work! I should admit that I am not a fan of cooking. Unlike my sister who loves to cook (check her out Here.) She is amazing! But that's beside the point. I am all about the fast to prepare but nutritious meal that is most importantly something that my kids will eat without complaining. I love the old "meat and potatoes" meals. Rice, potatoes or pasta with some chicken or beef are my staples. I love them, but my metabolism doesn't like me to eat them constantly.

My other problem is that my kids and I are home alone for dinner most nights of the week. I know that is no excuse because there are lots of women out there in the same boat. I honestly don't know why it makes such a difference to my motivation to make a "real" meal, but for some reason it does. I think I am still in the mindset that my kids wont appreciate a full meal. Now, they are 8, 6, and 4 so the oldest does appreciate the full meal more than the 4 year old does, obviously but their favorite meals are still pizza, macaroni and cheese, corn dogs and chicken nuggets or fish sticks. Oh those meals are so easy to fall back on when the day has been hectic and I have no desire to spend a lot of time cooking, which is most of the time.



Once upon a time I made a menu and followed that, which meant that I knew what I was making every day ahead of time. There was no question about it, I just made that meal. When I made the menu I would make sure I wasn't having the same thing all the time, meaning that if I made a chicken and rice dish on Monday, I tried to have something with beef and potatoes or pasta on Tuesday. That really did help, but I have gotten out of that habit. I think maybe it's time I resurrect my dinner menu....

1 comment:

  1. When my hubby was in DC for 5 months and we were still in Florida I had this same dilemma. It just didn't seem worth it to cook a "real meal" for the kids but like you, I finally planned out the meals, and just did it.

    ReplyDelete