Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, a day early! :)

So the other day I was having a conversation with my mom. She sent me a message asking me how many WW Points* a certain recipe was. Rather than sending a text back I called because the number of points per serving in this family recipe greatly varies depending on how exactly you make the recipe. I know that may sound a little obvious, but my mom and I have found that we often alter a recipe to our own taste. After so many years of using my altered recipe I forget exactly how my mom makes it. Usually she has made her own adjustments to the recipe but hasn't written them down so the recipe card I originally copied from her didn't have her alterations on it. Anyhow, the point is that if a recipe calls for 1 pound of hamburger we often put less in. Usually I put in about the same amount as my mom, but sometimes we vary. I also substitute a lot of lower fat ingredients for what the recipe actually calls for. For example, the recipe today called for 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar. I don't use cheddar very often. Instead I use a pizza blend of shredded cheese that consists of lower fat cheeses like mozzarella. So on my recipe card I have 3 different variations and point values. Following the exact recipe results in 1 cup (1 serving) = 10 WW Points*. If I cut the amount of hamburger and split the cheese half in half then 1 serving = 7 Points*. But by using the smaller amount of hamburger (which I do because I like the taste better, not because of the point value) and replace the full amount of cheese with the lower fat cheese then my 1 serving = 5 Points*!

These are easy changes, and they don't change the taste at all, but see how much difference it makes in my eating plan? My plan gives me 20 points per day. Making this recipe without any of the changes takes half my daily points!

Play with the ingredient lists on your recipes and see what a difference you can make! You might be able to easily make a big difference in your Thanksgiving meal too!

*WW Points is the old Weight Watchers Points program, not to be confused with the current Weight Watchers Points Plus program.

No comments:

Post a Comment