Friday, November 16, 2012

Water and Winter

As we head into the winter season and the weather is getting colder and colder I am having a more difficult time drinking enough water. Are you having the same problem? I know from prior experience that water is a huge part of losing weight! For me it is practically impossible to lose weight, or even maintain it, without drinking enough water. That was a hard fact for me to learn, but I did eventually learn it. I don't do as well as I should all the time, but who is perfect?!

So how does water help me lose weight? If I'm feeling constantly hungry I try to make sure I drink water about 30 minutes before a meal. Often your stomach is full long before your brain gets the message. So by drinking water 30 minutes before I eat my stomach is not totally empty and by the time I finish eating, my brain is getting the message that I'm full. So I stop eating without feeling like I'm still hungry or that I'm depriving myself.

I have also found that most of the time when I start feeling hungry I'm really just thirsty, but my brain has misinterpreted those feelings. If I go get some water I stop feeling hungry. That helps keep from over eating too.

Several years ago, while attempting to lose weight, I was told I should drink more water and I would be successful. That was something I did change in my life. Although I didn't know how much water I should be drinking I started drinking more. I didn't like the taste of water though and I knew that adding koolaid to it would defeat my purpose. I started keeping water bottles in the fridge and for me it was easier to drink more water if it was really really cold. Later, when I was pregnant I started to dislike ice water, it was just too cold, so I started just carrying a water bottle with me and drinking it at room temperature.

I think my taste changed partly because I was so used to drinking water by then. Ok I moved too and I think the water tasted different in the new town I was living in. Have you noticed how it tastes different in different places? Anyhow, I still prefer it at room temperature. Maybe that's part of the reason that I have a harder time drinking in the winter, the house is colder! I love to drink hot chocolate...and I could drink that all day long. :) Some times I warm the water up just a little but that's just not the same as hot chocolate!

So what do you do? Or am I the only one that has a difficult time with this?

No comments:

Post a Comment