Friday, January 18, 2013

A Realization



When my husband and I were first married he started trying to lose weight, again. He told me that previously a body builder friend of his had helped him lose weight and had put him on a "diet", although really I would say it was more of a meal plan. Anyhow, he lost quite a bit of weight apparently and he wanted to start eating on that meal plan again. This meant that he would eat a baked potato with only a touch of ranch dressing on it (and when I say touch I mean less than a Tablespoon, maybe a  1/2 Tablespoon) for breakfast and then again for lunch. For dinner he was to have a boneless, skinless chicken breast. In addition to that he had a couple of snacks but the potatoes and chicken breast were the main components to his meals.

At the time I couldn't even imagine eating the same thing every day! I am not suggesting that this is a meal plan for anyone else, but it worked for my husband at the time. The point I am trying to get to is that I realized a few months ago that I have absolutely become a person who can eat the same thing every day, almost! Just about every morning I have a home made pancake. Some mornings that pancake has zucchini in it, some mornings it has bananas or applesauce or pumpkin or some other fruit in it, but about 5 days a week I have a pancake. Then for lunch I almost always have a baked potato. Now I don't limit myself to just a little ranch like he did, I put fat free sour cream and a little cheese and usually a few sauteed mushrooms...and ketchup on it and I love it. I probably have that at least 3 or 4 days a week. Dinner varies because I do still cook for the family and eat with them and there is no way they are going to eat the same thing every night. I don't think I would like to have the same dinner every night either. Breakfast and lunch is enough.

For the past few months I've figured that I'm just lazy and I've gotten in a rut that's why I don't spend the time thinking of and making something else for breakfast and lunch. But today I realized that isn't the case. Ok well maybe it has a little to do with it, but I think the main reason I have settled into this pattern is that I am using food more as a fuel than as an emotional boost. I still LOVE food, don't get me wrong. I absolutely love yummy food and I enjoy every bite of the food I eat. However, when I am deciding what to make, especially for breakfast and lunch, my main consideration is what is going to give my body the energy that it needs and also fill me up for the longest time possible. Pancakes fill me up more than cereal and baked potatoes more than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. 

So there is my realization for this week! :) It makes me happy to realize that the choices I make for those two meals at least has more to do with fuel than emotions!

No comments:

Post a Comment